After more than a year of going vegan, it was today- for the first time I craved kheer. Kheer is a traditional milk-based dessert served in 99% of Indian weddings. Yep, a very big deal. I made two types of Kheers today-One using rice flakes and the other one with quinoa flakes. Quinoa won by a big margin 🙂 I am usually bad with measurements and kheer is more of how you like it. It took 10-15 mins for me to do this amazing dish 🙂 No oil, No condensed milk crap.
You need-Serves 1-2 people.
- 1/4 cup cashews and 1/4 cup almonds soaked over night-blended with 1 cup water-That’s the cashew almond thick milk that you have.
- Store bought organic almond milk-depends on how runny you want your kheer
- Saffron-few strands (soaked in a tbsp of almond milk)
- Seeds of 1 cardamom+10 pistachios+1 tsp organic raw sugar-in it goes into pestle and mortar
- Quinoa/rice flakes -1/4 cup should do
- Goji berries-1 tbsp
- Organic raw sugar-depends on your taste buds-Atleast a couple of tbsp
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a saucepan, add the flakes and goji berries, reduce the flame to low-medium and dry fry until you get the roasted smell.
- Add the thick milk and little almond milk and let the mixture come to boil. From this point on you keep adding almond milk cos the flakes consume milk like crazy
- Add sugar, cardamom pistachio blend, saffron[try rubbing them,more flavor], salt and mix them all well. Again you would see this thicken , add more almond milk, let it sit for few seconds and transfer to a serving glass.
- For presentation sake, in the same pan in which you make kheer, add a bit of sugar, pistachios, goji berries and a tsp of water until sugar caramelizes on pistachios. This is for the glaze 🙂 Top them on the kheer glass with few saffron strands.