Matar Paneer WAS my favorite. Usually loaded with butter and cream though 😦 It is a Punjabi curry- from a state which has one of the biggest vegetarian population in India but they are very much into dairy though, especially ghee. That’s probably the reason for the taste 🙂 What I have made here is a replica of the curry with Tofu. I refrained myself from adding cashew cream to keep it light. I probably should have added at least a Tbsp of the cashew cream- Missed the creaminess 😦
Now, time to talk about tomatoes in curry. Personally, I like to boil water in a saucepan, add tomatoes in (yep, whole) and close the lid, let it boil for 5 mins on high heat, turn off heat, leave the pan for another 5 mins. Take tomatoes, peel skin off, chop them and use them in the curry. Better color, lesser cooking time, more flavor. If you think that it is a lot of work, forget what I said and chop the tomatoes very fine and use them. Choice is yours 🙂
You need these awesome ingredients:
- Tofu-1 block-cubed-Medium Firm-[NO EXTRA FIRM TOFU PLEASE]
- 2 tsp Sambar powder and 1 tsp cornstarch to coat tofu
- Green peas-frozen-a handful
- Red onion-1.5-finely chopped
- Ginger and Garlic-1 Tbsp each grated very fine
- Sambar masala-1.5 heaped teaspoon
- Coriander leaves-finely chopped-2 Tbsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Salt-as needed
- Oil-a tbsp
- Cumin seeds-a tsp
- Kasoori Methi 2 pinches
- Organic Raw Sugar-1 tsp
- Cube Tofu and coat with 2 tsp Sambar powder and 1 tsp cornstarch and pan roast them and keep them aside. Pierce them with toothpick so that the curry’s flavor gets in.
- In a saucepan that comes with a lid, add oil, cumin seeds, onion and fry until golden brown and now add ginger and garlic.
- Once you start getting the aroma, add the tomato in what ever form you like. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder,garam masala and fry until the mixture starts to boil. Add some water (1.5 cup), salt and let it boil for 5-7 mins. Add tofu and green peas, kasoori methi,more salt, sugar, close and cook for 5-7 mins.
- If the curry is very watery, add a tsp of cornstarch dissolved in water and add that. Top with coriander leaves and finely chopped raw onions.
- For richer version of the curry add some cashew cream 🙂
P.S: The miniature fellas are hedgehogs having an afternoon tea 🙂