Fenugreek leaves are very bitter-but they are awesome in cleansing the body. I try to incorporate them into the food. It is always on my Indian shopping list. For this recipe, all you do is go to an Indian grocery and ask for fresh ‘methi’ leaves. (In Sydney, we have Wigram street in Harris park-which has more than 15 shops selling these leaves). Methi – Fenugreek leaves, Matar-Green peas, Malaai-Cream. If you are craving for a creamy curry, this is for you. It goes excellent with any flat bread/cumin rice.
- A bunch of methi leaves removed from the stalks
- Green peas-boiled with salt
- Red onion-cubed-1.5
- Green chili-3
- Cloves-2 and cinnamon-1″ stick
- Poppy seeds-2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Garlic-5 pods, Ginger-1 small piece
- Cashews – 40 gms (soaked in hot water for an hour)-to make cashew cream
- Light coconut milk-1/4 cup
- Garam masala-1 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Raw sugar-1 tsp
- Wash methi leaves-add salt-leave 10 mins-squeeeze extra water out.
- In a pan, add tsp of oil, add the methi leaves-fry until they are cooked. Keep them separate.
- In the same pan add a tsp of oil, clove, cinnamon , cumin seeds once they splutter, add onion,green chili, salt garlic and ginger and fry until onions are translucent, add poppy seeds and take it off heat and blend into fine paste
- In a blender, add just the cashews (discard the water) and half of the coconut milk and bit water to make cashew cream
- Time to put them together. In the same pan, add a tsp oil, add the onion paste, let it boil for a couple of minutes, add methi leaves, fry for a couple mins, add cashew cream, let it mix well, add boiled green peas, sugar and cook for 3 more mins. When it thickens add remaining coconut milk,salt(if needed), garam masala and turn off the flame and let it be in the pan for another 5 mins
Do you like the cumin rice you get in Indian restaurants? This is a vegan version of the same. If you have a rice cooker and the ingredients below, this is such a yummy version 🙂
- Basmati rice-1 cup
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Cumin seed powder-`1 tsp
- Cashews-5 broken into bits
- One green chili-cut into 2
- Oil-2 tsp
- Water-2 cups
- In a rice cooker, add rice and water.
- In a pan, add oil, when it is hot, add cumin seeds, green chili, cashews, once cashews are brown, add the cumin powder, fry for a minute and pour over the rice, add salt and turn the rice cooker on.