This post for Camille. Camille is one of the sweetest people you could meet on this planet. She isn’t old enough for me to call her mum, but she definitely acts like one to me. We talk Indian food all the time and she loves dahl. So Camille, this is for you 🙂 I have made this recipe as easy as I can and it will be close to what you eat at a restaurant (vegan though). Forgot to take a snap. Will update it soon.
- Split yellow mung lentils (1 cup)
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- 1 onion/10 shallots – finely chopped
- 1 tomato-finely chopped/ I like to puree them for better color & it is an healthier alternative
- Ginger-1″ piece-grated
- Garlic-4 pods-grated
- Clove-2, Cinnamon stick-1″ piece
- Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds-1 tsp each
- Curry leaves and dry red chilli(optional-break them into two for spicy effect)-for more authentic Indian flavor
- <Red chilli powder/Sambar powder( I find it more flavorful)–2 tsp
- 2 tsp rice bran oil
- Salt-to taste
- In a pressure cooker, add the yellow mung lentils, turmeric, 2 and 2.5 cups water and pressure cook the lentils.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add oil, add cloves, cinnamon, mustard seeds (wait for it to pop), add cumin seeds, once this splutters add the curry leaves and add curry leaves and dry red chilli. You are done with the seasoning for the dal
- Time to add onions, fry them well, ginger, garlic, chilli/sambar powder wait until the raw smell disappears and the tomato in and fry until it is soft.
- Add the cooked lentils in and mix them well. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and serve with boiled rice/quinoa/roti/naan bread