Palak Tofu/Channa is a high protein blessing for vegans 🙂 When I was in India, I used to go to this North Indian restaurant and became best friends with the chef there 🙂 When I left India to come to Sydney, he had given me a copy of these 126 recipes which are his mum’s 🙂 I just pulled it out today, so from today on, I am going to get his recipes veganized 🙂
Caution: This recipe involves loads of blending.
- Baby spinach leaves – 250 gms pack
- Green chilli-1
- Onion-1 cubed
- Tomato-1.5 cubed
- Ginger-1/2″ piece
- Garlic- 3 pods
- Raw Cashews soaked in water- 15gms (This is the best cream substitute)
- Clove-2, Cinnamon-1″piece, Cumin seeds-1 tsp, Bay leaf -1
- Oil-2 tbsp
- Organic tofu- 250 gms- water drained and cubed- fork pierced (Chilli powder -a tsp to fry the tofu)/ a cup of cooked chickpea for palak channa
- Chilli powder, coriander powder,garam masala-1 tsp each
- First Step is to process the spinach. In a pan,add washed spinach and sprinkle water and fry for a couple of mins until it is about to be cooked completely. Take it out and wash it under cold water (it is to retain the awesome green color of the spinach-bit of bragging but have a look at my pics-That’s the green you need :P). Add bit of salt and blend into a smooth paste
- Second Step is to make the cashew cream- Blend cashews into a smooth paste
- Third step is to make the curry base. In a pan, add oil, add clove, cinnamon, cumin seeds, once it splutters add onion, green chilli, ginger and garlic and fry until onions are transparent (not brown). Add in tomatoes and the spice powders and fry until tomatoes are soft. Take it off heat and allow it to cool and blend into smooth paste.
- Fourth Step is to fry the tofu. In a pan, add a tsp of oil, add chilli powder and add tofu cubes and fry them until hrown on all sides. This is to be done in parallel with adding cream in the next step otherwise tofu will get really tough
- Time to put them all together. In a pan, add the curry base, let it boil for like 2 mins and add the spinach in. Mix them well. Add more salt and add the cashew cream.Close the pan and let all the flavors infuse together for 5 mins.
- You could add cooked chickpea or Tofu, close and cook for few more mins and serve hot