Found this recipe in one of my diaries and I knew immediately what was going into my lunch box tomorrow. The actual version of it had rice instead of quinoa and had the title “Chickpea Groundnut High protein pulao”. Very much Indian 😉 Pulao/Pulav is how any rice that is flavored in termed as. I thought of making this recipe in brown rice but decided to go with organic red quinoa. Heavenly. Ended up having a small portion of it for dinner.
- Quinoa-1 cup cooked with 3 cups water (My quinoa consumed water like a sponge.. Try with 2 cups of water and add as required)
- Dried Chickpeas,dried Peanuts,dry peas-a handful each-soaked overnight-pressure cooked without salt
- Onion-1 small finely chopped
- Tomato-1, Ginger-a small piece, Garlic-1 pod-blend them together
- Dry chilli powder-1/2 tsp ( is way too low compared to normal Indian spicy limit)
- Channa masala (Spice from Indian grocery) – 2 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Dry fenugrek leaves (ask for dry methi in an Indian grocery)-1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Clove-2, Cinnamon-a small stick, Cardamom-1 pod, Bay leaf-1,cumin seeds-1 tsp,curry leaves-1 strand(optional)
- In a pan, add 1 and 1/2 tsp oil, add cloves, cinnamon,cardamom,bay leaf,cumin seeds,curry leaves and wait for them to roast, add onions, salt, fry, when ever you feel oil is necessary, add water and fry the onions.
- Once onion turns brown, add the blended tomato paste, fry for a minute, toss in turmeric, dry chilli powder, channa masala, garam masala, salt and fry until tomato loses it’s raw smell. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and add all the cooked lentils, add dry fenugrek leaves and let it boil for a 3-4 minutes. Add coriander leaves and let it become semi-dry curry and add cooked quinoa, add more salt and mix them well 🙂
Serves: 2 people