A variation of Mujaddara, a mediterranean dish with a twist. Rice has been substituted with quinoa, which is way healthier than rice due to it’s high protein,fibre, iron and calcium.
- Brown Lentils-1/2 cup
- Quinoa-1/4 cup
- Red onion-1 small – finely chopped
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp;
- Cinnamon stick-1 inch
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Cumin powder-1 tsp
- Coriander leaves-1 strand(optional)
- Sea salt-to taste
- Rice bran oil-1 tbsp
- Soak lentils for 2 hours in hot water and boil the lentils with no/very less salt. Keep it aside
- Boil quinoa separately (2.5 water:1 quinoa – Bring water to boil before adding quinoa to it). Add it to lentils. Mix them together and add bit of sea salt.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil, add cumin seeds & cinnamon stick, and after 5 seconds, add the chopped onions, coriander powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and fry them. If you feel oil is too less for onions, add more oil/add salt and sprinkle water to brown them.
- Once the onions turn brown, add the boiled quinoa and lentils , salt and saute them until you reach the right consistency. ( you will know when it starts to stick to the pan).
- Garnish with coriander leaves